Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Chem is turning out to be a dangerous class

I was prepping for the lab demo I have to do for my presentation Friday at lunch today. I'm doing a flame test, so I pretty much just light metals on fire and see what colours they burn. Anyway, I was making sure the calcium worked, and I had a little chunk on the loop, and it was turning the flame from the butane burner a nice pretty purplish-red, and then all of a sudden it friggin' exploded and there was this insanely bright flash of light (if you've seen magnesium burn, it's like that but just for a split second and purple instead of white) that I did not see coming.

During the lab prep, I also spilled lithium chloride solution on my hands. By the time I got out of the lab I had about five minutes left to eat lunch, so it was either wash my hands and starve or just suck it up and eat. Lesson of the day: lithium chloride is really, really gross. It is disgusting. Don't ever eat it. Don't ever get it on your hands, rub it on an apple, and eat that. Seriously.

Finally, during actual chem class, we were making Christmas ornaments with pipe cleaners and solution stuff that makes crystals grow on them, which involved boiling water on a hot plate. And, of course, since I was having such an amazing day already, I accidentally touched the edge of the hot plate (which was cranked all the way up and had been on for a while, maybe 5-10 minutes) with the back of my little finger, and now I have a lovely burn that hurt like hell every time I got masking tape stuck to it during art class.

No comments: